The EAGLE group (Eionet Action Group on Land monitoring in Europe) was set up in 2009 by members of EIONET NRCs on land cover as a response to the growing need to discuss solutions for a better integration and harmonization of national mapping activities with European land monitoring initiatives (i.e. CLC) at technical level, independently from any political or industry preferences, following the concept of a bottom-up approach.
The EAGLE concept …
- can be a useful framework for the integration of LC / LU information from various data sets in one single data model.
- is applicable on both national and EU level.
- is a vehicle for comparison and semantic translation between different LC/LU nomenclatures, and facilitates data exchange.
- is open to be implemented as a LC / LU data collection standard for national land monitoring initiatives.
- can be a coherent common data framework for several single GMES products (CLC, HRLs, Urban Atlas).